Parkinson Canada seeks to ease the burden of people living with Parkinson’s disease through support and education. We provide information to people with Parkinson’s, their family members, and caregivers as well as health professionals. With local offices and 120 chapters and support groups Parkinson Canada provides educational workshops, conferences, seminars, a toll-free National Information and Referral line, printed resources, and supportive services in both of Canada’s official languages.

To access this service, you can write to or call 1 800 565-3000.

Every Parkinson’s experience is unique. The symptoms and progression will vary from person to person. Living with Parkinson’s requires an individualized approach which includes all aspects of your life (a holistic approach).

It is important for you to be an active participant in managing the disease. Care partners can also be involved. Members of your care team might include some or all of the following:

Neurologist: ideally a specialist in movement disorders who might make or confirm the diagnosis, decide on treatment, adjust medication

Family doctor: ideally someone who is knowledgeable about Parkinson’s, to provide ongoing care, including annual physical exams

Parkinson’s nurse specialist: many movement disorder specialists have a nurse who specializes in Parkinson’s. The nurse can provide information on how to manage your condition.

Psychiatrist/psychologist: an expert in mental and emotional health issues such as depression, or cognitive abilities

Physiotherapist: makes assessments with mobility, balance and posture; offers techniques on how to move safely; recommends sports or exercise programs

Occupational therapist: makes assessments with living and working environment to ensure safety; suggests equipment or devices that can maintain independence

Speech language pathologist: helps improve voice projection or swallowing difficulties

Dietician: advises on how to plan a healthy diet and maintain ideal weight; helps with dietary issues caused by medications

Social worker: advises on financial and family concerns; helps with accessing resources and services in your community

Other professionals: pharmacists can provide information on medication, drug reimbursements plans; a urologist can help with urinary problems or sexual functioning for men.